Here is a simple cheat sheet that can help keep you sober and ensure 2017 won’t be greeted with a super sized hangover served with a large order of bad behavior.
- New Year Eve is just a night. That’s it. Keep it in perspective NYE is just a night. It is not a day pass to get loaded.
- Have a plan. If you are going to a party, have an exit strategy: can’t stay long have another party, have to wake up early the next day to let your neighbor’s dog out, etc. Be creative!
- Stay supported. Go out with a sober friend if you have to go out. Have ten people who support your sobriety on hand and call them or text them – don’t wait until it’s too late!
- Choose an activity where drinking is not the focus. Go ice skating, ski, board games, bowling are creative and get people out of their comfort zone which can be fun!! AA hosts Alcathons – 24 hour meetings everywhere. These meetings are actually really fun and it is an awesome place to meet new sober friends. www.aa-semi.org
- Make a list. List all the good things that have happened to you in sobriety. If you are not sober yet, list the things not working in you life and how not drinking could change the situation. Relationships? School? Work? Legal System? Family? Job? Keep this list on you when you are out and look at it when you need to.
- Just say NO. Saying no might be hard at first, but it gets easier. If you are new to sobriety, have some phrases ready – I’m doing a cleanse, I’m taking antibiotics, etc. The longer you are sober, you will come to realize is that most people don’t care or notice if you drink. You will find that the only people who repeatedly question you are people who most likely have a problem.
- Don’t go to parties or bars if you are uncomfortable. Know what places are not safe for you. Don’t put yourself in difficult positions – you won’t get extra points! Make plans with sober friends and family! Enjoy NYE knowing you won’t be nauseated or embarrassed New Years Day!
- Remember, you only need to do one thing perfect to stay sober today: DON’T DRINK!!!
If this is your year to get sober and be free of addiction, contact Sacred Heart Rehabilitation Center at 888.802.7472 for questions, or admissions.
Sources: LM’s experience, wisdom and tools of alcoholics and addicts new to sobriety and those with long term uninterrupted sobriety. Thank you to CG, LH, MC, KR, DR, MA, MF.